What should Ubuntu do? (to be nice to me)

Friday, May 14, 2010 11:55 - GNOME

First disclaimer: those recent posts were triggered by my participation to the first day of UDS, and I think it is great to have such an open event. Despite my criticism I still believe Ubuntu has been great for Debian, GNOME, and free software in general.

Second disclaimer: I understand being nice to me has not been identified as a major goal, but still, why not?

So what should Ubuntu do? And being nice to me is not the sole rationale, there are more substantial tings: exposure to more developers (which will help adoption by application authors, and bring bug reports and patches), asserting interest in the evolving GNOME platform, and assuring a comfortable transition to GNOME Shell, when time will have come.

This is just four ideas I scribbled down, in no way limitative, or fruits of a long reflection:

• Push indicator packages into Debian;
  • Create a patch against GNOME Shell to have indicators in the panel;
  • File bug reports with the Mutter changes done for Unity;
  • Make GNOME Shell and Seed compatible.

Last Modification: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:56

I don't see Ubuntu moving to GNOME Shell anytime soon. Which is one of the better things they've done lately.

Comment by TrueTom on May 14, 2010 12:41

Make something magical that'll turn bug reports into useful results. Too many of mine were filed months ago only to be asked recently "Can you repeat this?" and me going "No... That was in the last Ubuntu version." and them going "Oh ok! It's not an issue anymore!" - which obviously is false, since it very well could be an issue for that version.

Comment by Vadim P. on May 14, 2010 14:23

No. please don't push Indicator to Debian. It's buggy and highly inconsistent. Period.

If I can see the rational for behind some behaviour changes in ubuntu w.r.t panel applets in general (including indicator), in practise it's a real mess and utterly inconsistent. To the point it's getting _really_ annoying.

So don't push that stuff until it proves stable and consistent.

Thanks.

Comment by ldng on May 14, 2010 15:06

@Vadim: I would like to go one step further, please do not urge external developers to ruin gnome-shell design principles by randomly porting Gnome 2.0 stuff over. At the end we would end up with the same mess and inconsistency we have right now.

Gnome-Shell is not "Ubuntu Desktop 2010" with just some fancy Expose tweaks and some kind of start-menu replacement.

No offence...

Comment by Torben on May 14, 2010 16:48

Hey Fredrick. There should be only one patch from Mutter not in bugzilla, and that's because I think Im going to change It again before Unity is officially in Maverick. However, I'll have another look at the mutter package when I get home to see if I missed something. Thanks, Neil

Comment by Neil Patel on May 15, 2010 7:37

Hi Fredrick, I'm sorry we didn't get a chance at UDS. Did you feel your participation was unwelcome? I am just wondering because it's a goal to be nice to everyone at UDS and to welcome all developers from all open source projects.

Maybe you're kind of lucky you didn't get hugged to death. :p

Comment by Jorge Castro on May 15, 2010 22:11