Weekly summary and commit messages

Monday, October 20, 2008 12:10 - GNOME

I just posted this week commits summary on live.gnome.org, I am getting used to this Monday morning dance, I'll probably move them to blogs.gnome.org in a few weeks. I'm still expecting comments and pointers to interesting happenings as I will always miss some. You know how to contact me.

By the way, do we have a svn-username ↔ real name mapping ? At the moment the only way I have is to look up for real names in ChangeLog or MAINTAINERS files.

Also I wanted to rant a little bit, bear with me… My primary source when writing those weekly summaries is the messages you attach to your commits. Vincent Untz asked me to give out names but I didn't collect all of them. Also note the quality of commit messages is way higher for GNOME than for other projects I happen(ed) to follow.

Here is three example I would like to point:

• enhance the previous patch, Daniel: relative commit messages makes me want to grin at the webcam.
  • from git, Richard: gnome-packagekit is great and I could as well wait for your blog posts to know what is hidden in those commits.
  • fixed #12345, Julien: pointing to bugzilla is great, it would be even better to copy what was #12345 bug about.

I would also like to expand on Richard from git message, and point out the way Xavier does things is not really more useful; using git-svn and commiting the branch you merged as a collection of individual "work commits" instead of a "feature commit" is a pain, I am not the one to give out git advices but it seems git rebase -i is really good.

But there, once again, the situation is much better in GNOME than in other places, no "plop", "even better", "try again", "added a patch", "to be sure" or other useless messages here.

Last Modification: Monday, October 20, 2008 12:11

You're conflating the unrelated concepts of lots of small, useful commits, and 'add feature', 'fix compile', 'really fix compile', 'fix segfault on start', etc.

Comment by daniels on October 20, 2008 12:33

Well I think the small "work commits" were useful for the developer, they fixed and improved the initial feature implementation, but then, when the feature is proposed for inclusion in the mainline, commits should be reorganized in more structured chunks (also I gave this specific example as the commit count for both Empathy and Xavier were artificially inflated this week).

Comment by Frédéric Péters on October 20, 2008 12:42

I'll try to sort out svn-git. Apologies.

Comment by Richard Hughes on October 20, 2008 13:43

Nice, keep them coming :). I like the KDE commit digest very much, so it's good that Gnome now also has one.

Comment by Robin on October 20, 2008 14:26

A few days back, I wanted to map the svn account name to actual e-mail address.

If you want to send out a mail to someone with an svn account, just email:

@svn.gnome.org

It will be delivered to the registered email address for the nick. But the catch is: the registered email address may be obsolete for some people :(

Regarding commit messages, I agree with you. If working across branches, I usually suggest people to "git diff " the branch with the master (running remotes/git-svn) and commit the final patch as a one commit (across branches) in master.

Comment by Sankar on October 21, 2008 5:54

err... what I meant in the above comment is: "@svn.gnome.org" For some weird HTML reason or a bug in your template, the address was not displayed correctly.

Comment by Sankar on October 21, 2008 5:55